Join Mordy Golding for an in-depth discussion in this video Using the Knockout Group setting, part of Illustrator Insider Training: Seeing Through Transparency.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
Okay, so now we understand exactly what a knockout is inside of Illustrator.…Again, it's a default behavior whenever you're dealing with overlapping objects…with different colors, where the top object knocks out or removes the actual…part of the object that exists directly beneath it.…That prevents colors from mixing on press, giving us unwanted color changes.…However, in the world of transparency, the whole concept of knockout is…completely different.…Because if you think about it, if I take let's say just this shape right here…and I'm working on this file here called flower2.ai, and I select this element…right here and I choose to actually make it transparent by maybe applying an…Opacity of 50%, so now I'm telling that object to only be 50% in opacity.…
What does that mean?…That means I won't be able to see through that object and obviously I…want to see through it to see what appears beneath it.…I mean that's the whole point of transparency--…the ability to actually see through an object and to see what's behind it.…
- Understanding how transparency works across the Adobe applications
- Deconstructing the Transparency panel
- Adding transparency to gradients
- Understanding how overprints and knockouts work
- Using a gradient or complex appearance as an opacity mask
- The rules of transparency flattening
- Working with complex regions
- Understanding the relationship between flattening and stacking order
- Creating and sharing flattener presets
- Saving PDF files and using the PDF/X standards
Skill Level Intermediate
Illustrator Insider Training: Coloring Artworkwith Mordy Golding4h 44m Intermediate
1. Core Transparency Concepts
2. Applying Transparency
3. Using Opacity Masks
4. Transparency Flattening
5. Establishing a Safe Workflow
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.