Join Mordy Golding for an in-depth discussion in this video Using the Knockout Group setting without a group, part of Illustrator Insider Training: Seeing Through Transparency.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
In the previous movie we learned what the Knockout Group setting does inside of…the Transparency panel, this setting right here,…and we know that we can only apply that to a group.…Well let's modify that somewhat.…We can actually fool Illustrator to think that we're working with a group even…though we don't actually have a group in front of us.…A group basically has multiple objects. Normally the only way that…Illustrator kind of thinks about multiple objects is when you put them all…together in the same group.…But we also know that Illustrator has the ability to apply multiple fills or…multiple strokes to a single object and we can tell Illustrator to treat those…multiple fills or multiple strokes as multiple objects within a group.…
Let's see how we can use both that concept and the Knockout Group setting of the…Transparency panel to solve everyday problems inside of Illustrator.…Let's take this file here as an example.…That's called strokes.ai and I have two strokes that are right here.…Notice if I go into Outline mode, they are just kind of straight strokes that…
- Understanding how transparency works across the Adobe applications
- Deconstructing the Transparency panel
- Adding transparency to gradients
- Understanding how overprints and knockouts work
- Using a gradient or complex appearance as an opacity mask
- The rules of transparency flattening
- Working with complex regions
- Understanding the relationship between flattening and stacking order
- Creating and sharing flattener presets
- Saving PDF files and using the PDF/X standards
Skill Level Intermediate
Illustrator Insider Training: Coloring Artworkwith Mordy Golding4h 44m Intermediate
1. Core Transparency Concepts
2. Applying Transparency
3. Using Opacity Masks
4. Transparency Flattening
5. Establishing a Safe Workflow
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.