Ready to watch this entire course?
Become a member and get unlimited access to the entire skills library of over 4,900 courses, including more Design and personalized recommendations.Start Your Free Trial Now
- View Offline
- Setting up a new document
- Navigating within the workspace
- Understanding layers and objects
- Creating images from shapes
- Applying color
- Using the Appearance panel
- Creating shapes with the Blob Brush and Eraser tools
- Working with the Pen and Pencil tools
- Tweaking, exporting, and saving artwork
Skill Level Beginner
- [Voiceover] Hi, I'm Angie Taylor, a motion graphics designer who's been using Adobe Illustrator since 1996. I've authored books on motion graphic design, teach at my local art college and I regularly tour trade shows and seminars demonstrating my techniques. My Illustrator drawings and animations have been featured in several broadcasts for the BBC in the UK. Now if you're new to illustrator CS6, you're in for a few lovely treats. It's a very useful upgrade to an already amazing piece of software.
In this course, I'll get you up and running by covering some of the essential techniques that every Illustrator user needs to know, with a focus on some new features; as well as showing you some of the new and changed features from CS6. I'll share some new ways of taking advantage of some of the features you may already know. Topics that are covered in the course include drawing using primitive shapes, provided by the shape tools; using the pen tool for plotting precise curves and editing paths; and working with the pencil tool, which can be used for freehand drawing.
You'll also learn various techniques for coloring artwork, including live trace and the recolor artwork panel; and also how to apply brushes to artwork and affect the appearance of line work using variable width profiles. We'll also explore live effects in the appearance panel, which can take your illustrations to a whole new dimension. Illustrator has a comprehensive set of tools for creating graphics and illustrations. Throughout this course, you'll work from examples to discover techniques that will help you create your own elements.
I'll also share a few tips and techniques that will help make your workflow much easier and more efficient. We'll look at the best ways of making selections, creating objects with the shape and reshape tools and examine how to sculpt shapes with the blob brush and eraser tools. Illustrator is such a fun application to use, and this course reflects that fun attitude. Once you've completed this enjoyable and easy-going video course, you should be familiar enough with all of the tools to find your own way.
Your confidence will grow, and you'll become a better artist or designer as a result. So what are you waiting for? Dive right in and enjoy it, and happy drawing!