Join Mordy Golding for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding why compound shapes exist, part of Illustrator Insider Training: Drawing without the Pen Tool.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
In the previous movie we learned the true meaning of something called the Shape…Mode inside of Illustrator.…We learned that we can create something called the compound shape inside of…Illustrator which acts as some kind of a live Pathfinder object that I can…consider to modify even after I perform mathematical functions like add,…subtract, intersect and exclude.…Now you may ask yourself, I kind of see the benefit of maybe having live objects…but most of the times that I am drawing artwork, I pretty much know what I want…to draw as I am working on it.…So I usually want my artwork to be expanded and to create the shapes that I want…to work on right now, I don't really worry about what I am going to need to…change later on in the future.…
Well, the reason why this feature exists is because it allows a situation to…exist between Illustrator and its sister application called Photoshop.…You see Photoshop also has the ability on some level to work with vector…graphics and it does so using something called shape layers.…
- Drawing artwork versus building artwork
- Sketching ideas on paper
- Creating curves with the Reshape tool
- Recording actions for speed and accuracy
- Working with the Pathfinder functions
- Understanding how Live Paint works
- Using the Shape Builder tool
- Building and coloring artwork at the same time
- Turning variable-width strokes into filled paths
- Adjusting the behavior of the Pencil tool
- Drawing with the Calligraphic brush
Skill Level Intermediate
Illustrator Insider Training: Coloring Artworkwith Mordy Golding4h 44m Intermediate
Illustrator CS5 One-on-One: Advancedwith Deke McClelland14h 53m Intermediate
1. Core Drawing Concepts
2. Workflow: Drawing Paths
3. Pathfinder: Drawing with Math
4. Live Paint: Changing the Rules
5. Shape Builder: Building Artwork
6. Adding Expression: Variable Widths
7. Drawing with a Tablet
Next steps1m 28s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.