Join Mordy Golding for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding transparency flattening, part of Illustrator: Seeing Through Transparency.
Up until this point we've explored some pretty cool features inside of…Illustrator that allow us to take advantage of transparency.…However, what happens when we try to print these documents?…As we spoke about way back in Chapter 1 of this course, we know that…PostScript, which is what drives most of the printers in our market, does not…understand the concept of transparency, yet inside of Illustrator, because…Illustrator's file format is based on PDF, we can create transparency as we've…seen till this point.…
So in order for us to make our documents compatible and be able to print…on PostScript devices, they need to go through a process called…transparency flattening.…Now you may be familiar with the term flattening from Photoshop where maybe you…have several layers and you flatten all those layers now into a single layer.…Now in regards to transparency here inside of Illustrator, it's not exactly the same concept.…Flattening transparency really has a different meaning and in this chapter we're…
- Understanding how transparency works across the Adobe applications
- Deconstructing the Transparency panel
- Adding transparency to gradients
- Understanding how overprints and knockouts work
- Using a gradient or complex appearance as an opacity mask
- The rules of transparency flattening
- Working with complex regions
- Understanding the relationship between flattening and stacking order
- Creating and sharing flattener presets
- Saving PDF files and using the PDF/X standards
Skill Level Intermediate
Illustrator: Coloring Artwork (2011)with Mordy Golding4h 44m Intermediate
Illustrator: Rethinking the Essentialswith Mordy Golding5h 7m Intermediate
Illustrator: Drawing without the Pen Toolwith Mordy Golding4h 39m Intermediate
1. Core Transparency Concepts
2. Applying Transparency
3. Using Opacity Masks
4. Transparency Flattening
5. Establishing a Safe Workflow
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.