Join Mordy Golding for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding how overprints and knockouts work, part of Illustrator Insider Training: Seeing Through Transparency.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
Okay, so we have started to get a little bit more of an appreciation of the fact…that there is little bit more to transparency that meets the eye.…You know, it's more than just blend modes or Opacity settings, but as we've seen…already that inside the Transparency panel, we can use the Isolate Blending…setting to make sure that elements within a group don't mix with elements that…are outside of that group.…Now there's another setting here called Knockout Group.…However, before I can explain to you exactly what that setting does and how we…might be able to use it in a real world situation, we first have to really get a…good understanding of what a knockout is in general.…
So let's take a look now for a moment on this file right here.…It's called flower.ai and it's very straightforward.…I'm working right now in a CMYK document and I've simply taken two objects here,…a blue flower, which looks just like that.…I'm going to press Command+Z to move it back. And then a yellow circle that…appears in the middle of it.…
- Understanding how transparency works across the Adobe applications
- Deconstructing the Transparency panel
- Adding transparency to gradients
- Understanding how overprints and knockouts work
- Using a gradient or complex appearance as an opacity mask
- The rules of transparency flattening
- Working with complex regions
- Understanding the relationship between flattening and stacking order
- Creating and sharing flattener presets
- Saving PDF files and using the PDF/X standards
Skill Level Intermediate
Illustrator Insider Training: Coloring Artworkwith Mordy Golding4h 44m Intermediate
1. Core Transparency Concepts
2. Applying Transparency
3. Using Opacity Masks
4. Transparency Flattening
5. Establishing a Safe Workflow
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.