Join Mordy Golding for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding how Live Paint works, part of Illustrator Insider Training: Drawing without the Pen Tool.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
So we've seen how Live Paint can allow us to create artwork inside of…Illustrator purely from a visual perspective and allow us to build artwork in a…far more intuitive manner.…We can use tools like the Live Paint Bucket tool, and also the Live Paint…Selection tool to help us as we work within this Live Paint Group structure.…However, I wanted to kind of wipe this slate clean here for a moment and really…focus on what makes Live Paint tick, how does it work?…How can I make sure that when I use it, I use it correctly?…Well, let me share with you a few insider tips on how Live Paint works inside of Illustrator.…
More importantly, we'll also discover why things like brushes or variable width…strokes can't work with Live Paint, and in this case, we'll kind of get a better…idea of when you can use Live Paint and when it might not be such a good idea.…I'm going to start off by just creating a couple of lines here on my artboard,…maybe like make like a tic-tac-toe board.…So I have these four paths.…
- Drawing artwork versus building artwork
- Sketching ideas on paper
- Creating curves with the Reshape tool
- Recording actions for speed and accuracy
- Working with the Pathfinder functions
- Understanding how Live Paint works
- Using the Shape Builder tool
- Building and coloring artwork at the same time
- Turning variable-width strokes into filled paths
- Adjusting the behavior of the Pencil tool
- Drawing with the Calligraphic brush
Skill Level Intermediate
Illustrator Insider Training: Coloring Artworkwith Mordy Golding4h 44m Intermediate
Illustrator CS5 One-on-One: Advancedwith Deke McClelland14h 53m Intermediate
1. Core Drawing Concepts
2. Workflow: Drawing Paths
3. Pathfinder: Drawing with Math
4. Live Paint: Changing the Rules
5. Shape Builder: Building Artwork
6. Adding Expression: Variable Widths
7. Drawing with a Tablet
Next steps1m 28s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.