Join Mordy Golding for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding the Opacity & Mask Define Knockout Shape setting, part of Illustrator Insider Training: Seeing Through Transparency.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
Throughout this chapter we've taken looks at how to use the Transparency panel…and some of the functions inside of it to create some really useful effects when…you work inside of Illustrator.…For example, we've used Isolate Blending and we've learned about what Knockout…Group can do for us as well.…Now, there's a third checkbox here called Opacity & Mask Define Knockout Shape.…If the combination of those words alone don't confuse you, many people that I…know have tried to actually turn that checkbox on for many different objects and…have never been able to see any kind of results at all.…
And the reason why is because this one setting here is actually very different…than the two that appear above it.…Now, if you remember when we spoke about Isolate Blending and Knockout Group,…both of those settings only worked when you applied them to a group.…So you might think of course that Opacity & Mask Define Knockout Shape would…also be a setting that you can apply to a group.…Well, not exactly. You see the Opacity & Mask Define Knockout Shape setting has…
- Understanding how transparency works across the Adobe applications
- Deconstructing the Transparency panel
- Adding transparency to gradients
- Understanding how overprints and knockouts work
- Using a gradient or complex appearance as an opacity mask
- The rules of transparency flattening
- Working with complex regions
- Understanding the relationship between flattening and stacking order
- Creating and sharing flattener presets
- Saving PDF files and using the PDF/X standards
Skill Level Intermediate
Illustrator Insider Training: Coloring Artworkwith Mordy Golding4h 44m Intermediate
1. Core Transparency Concepts
2. Applying Transparency
3. Using Opacity Masks
4. Transparency Flattening
5. Establishing a Safe Workflow
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.