Join Mordy Golding for an in-depth discussion in this video Transparency living in a world of PostScript, part of Illustrator: Seeing Through Transparency.
By far the most common question that I get about transparency triggered by the…initial fear around its use when it was first introduced is, will it print?…A brief look at the underlying technology will help us understand this…question and also provides some key concepts that we'll be applying throughout this course.…Now the majority of output devices used by print professionals use a technology…called PostScript, a computer language that describes graphics.…Companies like Xerox, Canon, Agfa, Heidelberg, etcetera, either license this…PostScript language directly from Adobe or they license a PostScript clone,…which is basically a cheaper copy of Adobe's technology.…
Now PostScript itself does not support transparency.…Any art that does contain transparency must be translated to something that…PostScript can understand.…This translation process is called transparency flattening.…When printing files from Adobe applications, transparency is recognized and the…artwork is flattened, making it compatible with PostScript.…
- Understanding how transparency works across the Adobe applications
- Deconstructing the Transparency panel
- Adding transparency to gradients
- Understanding how overprints and knockouts work
- Using a gradient or complex appearance as an opacity mask
- The rules of transparency flattening
- Working with complex regions
- Understanding the relationship between flattening and stacking order
- Creating and sharing flattener presets
- Saving PDF files and using the PDF/X standards
Skill Level Intermediate
Illustrator: Coloring Artwork (2011)with Mordy Golding4h 44m Intermediate
Illustrator: Rethinking the Essentialswith Mordy Golding5h 7m Intermediate
Illustrator: Drawing without the Pen Toolwith Mordy Golding4h 39m Intermediate
1. Core Transparency Concepts
2. Applying Transparency
3. Using Opacity Masks
4. Transparency Flattening
5. Establishing a Safe Workflow
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.