Join Justin Seeley for an in-depth discussion in this video Tracing line art, part of Illustrator CS6 Essential Training.
One of the most common objects that you will be tracing inside of Illustrator is line art.…This could be something that somebody sketched on a cocktail napkin, somebody…drew inside of Photoshop, or somebody painted; doesn't matter. Something somebody…drew by hand, or created in an another program, like AutoCAD, or something like…that, that's comprised of lines.…And in this movie, I am going to show you my method for tracing that type of…artwork here inside of Illustrator.…The first thing I am going to do is create a new blank document.…I will do that by Command+N or Control+N on my keyboard.…Then I will make sure that I am working in a Horizontal orientation; doesn't…matter the size. In this case, it's 8.5 by 11 in a Horizontal orientation, but then…I will just hit OK.…
Once I do that, I am then going to place a file here. So I'm going to go to File,…I will go to Place, and I am going to choose car_sketch.…This is inside of your Chapter 12 images folder, and I will hit Place.…Once that is placed in, you are going to see, this is just a hand-drawn sketch of…
- Understanding vector graphics
- Creating and setting up files for print or web destinations
- Selecting and transforming objects on the page
- Creating spot colors
- Applying fills, strokes, and gradients to artwork
- Adjusting appearances and effects
- Working with anchor points and paths
- Drawing with the Pen tool
- Creating text
- Managing layers
- Creating and using symbols
- Printing, saving, and exporting artwork
Skill Level Beginner
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more on this topic by visiting <a href="../../../discover/graphic-design">graphic design on lynda.com</a>.
What is Illustrator?1m 15s
1. Getting Started
2. Working with Documents
3. Selecting and Transforming Objects
4. Working with Color
5. Working with Fills and Strokes
6. Working with Paths
7. Creating Shapes
8. Don't Be Afraid of the Pen Tool
9. Using Type in Illustrator
10. Adjusting Appearance
11. Working with Layers
12. Working with Images
13. Creating and Using Symbols
14. Drawing in Perspective
15. Printing, Saving, and Exporting
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.