Join Justin Seeley for an in-depth discussion in this video Tracing artwork with the Pen tool, part of Illustrator CS6 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
Now we have come to a point where we are ready to start putting what we've…learned into a practical application.…And in this movie, we are going to be drawing a simple cartoon character…utilizing the Pen tool inside of Illustrator.…As you can see, I have got this document open called tracing_bear.…And inside of this document, I actually have two layers, and I realize we…haven't talked about layers yet, but let me bring this out, so you can see what…I have got going on.…The idea here is that you have received artwork from a client,…and the artwork from the client is in a raster-based format of some kind.…It might be a JPEG, or a TIFF;…either way, it's not suitable for use in Illustrator, and you need to be able to…trace that artwork for use in your projects.…
This is how I start any tracing that I'm about to do inside of Illustrator.…I put the artwork that I'm going to be tracing on a layer called Background,…and then I lock that layer. That way, I cannot alter that layer in any way, and I…can't make any changes to that layer either.…
- Understanding vector graphics
- Creating and setting up files for print or web destinations
- Selecting and transforming objects on the page
- Creating spot colors
- Applying fills, strokes, and gradients to artwork
- Adjusting appearances and effects
- Working with anchor points and paths
- Drawing with the Pen tool
- Creating text
- Managing layers
- Creating and using symbols
- Printing, saving, and exporting artwork
Skill Level Beginner
What is Illustrator?1m 15s
1. Getting Started
2. Working with Documents
3. Selecting and Transforming Objects
4. Working with Color
5. Working with Fills and Strokes
6. Working with Paths
7. Creating Shapes
8. Don't Be Afraid of the Pen Tool
9. Using Type in Illustrator
10. Adjusting Appearance
11. Working with Layers
12. Working with Images
13. Creating and Using Symbols
14. Drawing in Perspective
15. Printing, Saving, and Exporting
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.