Join Von Glitschka for an in-depth discussion in this video Thumbnail sketching, part of Drawing Vector Graphics.
- View Offline
Since illustrative design is all about drawing out your ideas before you build…them digitally, the place to start is with thumbnail sketches.…Let's talk about what thumbnail sketches are, how many you need to draw, and …most important, selecting your strongest ideas.…What are thumbnail sketches?…They are nothing more than small, thumbnail-sized rough drawings that …you'll use to capture general ideas regarding your visual design.…Using all the information you gathered in the creative preparation stage you'll…now approach your design project and begin to sketch out your rough ideas.…
Keep it simple or even crude. These are glorified doodles.…There is no need to refine or redraw anything at this point.…You're just taking an idea as it forms in your mind and capturing them on paper.…These loose drawings will encapsulate your general ideas.…Once you've drawn one, move along to the next one and keep drawing.…As you do this you'll no doubt stumble upon other visual possibilities and …you can sketch those out as well.…
- What is illustrative design?
- Establishing a creative brief
- Defining client expectations
- Exploring creative thinking exercises
- Art directing your drawing
- Selecting an appropriate style for each project
- Drawing and thumbnail sketching
- Discerning anchor point placement
- Building vector drawings with shapes
- Presenting your illustrations