Join Justin Seeley for an in-depth discussion in this video Smoothing and erasing paths, part of Illustrator CS6 Essential Training.
If you're going to be doing a lot of freehand drawing inside of Illustrator,…you've got to familiarize yourself with two tools:…one is the smoothing tool, and the other is the Path Eraser tool.…Both of these are going to be your best friend.…The Eraser tool, because it allows you to undo that which you didn't intend to…do, and the smoothing tool, because it's going to clean up those jagged paths that…you've created while you're drawing with your mouse.…Let's take a look at exactly what I mean.…I am going to be using my Pencil tool here, and I am just going to draw out…some freeform shapes.…So I am going to draw out something like a flower, and I am going to hold down my…Option or Alt key to indicate that I am going to close this path, then I will…release my mouse, and I will release my Option or Alt key.…
That's going to close that path for me.…But you can tell by looking at this that it's pretty nasty. It's jagged, it doesn't…have a lot of smooth corners,…I don't like it, but I can come over here, and I can grab the Smooth tool, and I…
- Understanding vector graphics
- Creating and setting up files for print or web destinations
- Selecting and transforming objects on the page
- Creating spot colors
- Applying fills, strokes, and gradients to artwork
- Adjusting appearances and effects
- Working with anchor points and paths
- Drawing with the Pen tool
- Creating text
- Managing layers
- Creating and using symbols
- Printing, saving, and exporting artwork
Skill Level Beginner
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more on this topic by visiting graphic design on lynda.com.
What is Illustrator?1m 15s
1. Getting Started
2. Working with Documents
3. Selecting and Transforming Objects
4. Working with Color
5. Working with Fills and Strokes
6. Working with Paths
7. Creating Shapes
8. Don't Be Afraid of the Pen Tool
9. Using Type in Illustrator
10. Adjusting Appearance
11. Working with Layers
12. Working with Images
13. Creating and Using Symbols
14. Drawing in Perspective
15. Printing, Saving, and Exporting
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.