Learn about using basic shapes to create iconography design.
- [Instructor] When most people think of vector building…they think of the Pen Tool…and creating Bezier curves to form vector-based shapes…that make up a design.…The Pen Tool icon in Illustrator itself…is an example of simple shape building…to create a visual metaphor of an actual fountain pen.…That's what this icon is based off of,…it's based off of the analog aspect of a fountain pen.…Hence the nib, the tip of this pen…is styled to look like that in the icon…that is shown here in the tool palette.…
But we don't actually draw with the Pen Tool,…we build with the Pen Tool,…because Illustrator in its truest sense…is a vector building program.…So let's take a look at how we can create icon images…using shape building techniques.…So it's all going to start with the reference,…and in this case we're going to be creating a motif of a bird…and we want to reference the real thing.…Regardless if you're doing it in a realistic style,…or in this case, an iconic style,…referencing the real thing will give us those visual cues…
- Developing icon ideas
- Simplifying complex shapes
- Drawing visual metaphors
- Establishing visual continuity
- Creating flat icons
- Creating long shadow icons
- Detailing icons
- Creating pixel perfect icons
- Reviewing how icon art is used in a variety of design contexts
Skill Level Intermediate
Drawing Vector Graphics: Patternswith Von Glitschka3h 59m Intermediate
1. Iconic Fundamentals
2. Vector Icon Design
3. Raster Icon Design
4. Iconography Samples
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.