Discover the Illustrator Separations Preview in this video.
- [Instructor] In this movie…we're going to examine the color separations of this file.…But before we do that, what we're going to do…is create a varnish overlay for the dragon.…If I go to the layers panel here,…I've got a layer called outline shape…and I'm just going to drag that down onto the new icon…at the bottom there, to duplicate it.…Now just while I'm doing this,…I'll turn off all of the other layers…and also it's probably wise…for me to lock the outline shape.…
I'll rename this layer varnish, like so,…and then I'll select all of the contents of the layer…either by using the area here in the layers panel,…or as its a single artboard document,…command or control + A.…I'm then going to hold down the shift key…and tap M on my keyboard to get the shape builder tool…and holding down the shift key again,…just drag an area across the dragon like so.…And now I've got one solid shape.…
Let's mix quickly a color for the varnish.…So if I go and create a new swatch…I'll call this one varnish here like so.…All importantly make it a spot color here,…
Watch Tony's companion course, Photoshop for the In-House Designer, to learn time-saving techniques using Photoshop templates, presets, brushes, and more.
- Producing print and digital graphics
- Using artboards, layers, and libraries
- File output formats
- Using Asset Export
- Creating symbols and libraries
- SVG interactivity
- Print production
- Using Illustrator plugins
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign for the In-House Designerwith Claudia McCue10h 33m Intermediate
Photoshop for the In-House Designerwith Tony Harmer1h 44m Beginner
1. Producing Print Graphics in Illustrator
2. Producing Digital Graphics in Illustrator
3. Basic Print Production in Illustrator
4. Using Plugins
Next steps1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.