Join Bill Shander for an in-depth discussion in this video Roughing out the country list, part of Designing a Data Visualization.
- So now it's time to get our basic…data design down, based on our sketches.…And so, if you remember this sketch that I created…back in that process that I really was…pretty sure was gonna be close to,…if not the right design.…Everything I do from here forward…is gonna be based on this,…so the upper right-hand example…I have my three horizontal bars…that make up my three components…and I have my overall HDI as some sort of cross-hatching…line that's gonna sit on top of that.…To the left of those, I have a vertical line,…like a center line, and then two bars,…maybe green going to the right…and red going to the left.…
That's where, how I'm gonna show inequality change.…And then to the left of those, those little line charts,…those Sparklines as they're called,…to show trends over time.…So this is the design idea that…I want to take into Illustrator.…So now back into Illustrator, we're going to do a few…different things in here.…So the first thing I'm gonna do is I'm gonna add…a new layer called, let's say, HD levels bg.…
The UN Human Development Index used in this course is a perfect example: a composite number used to rank countries on how well they're doing across a range of measures (such as health, wealth, and education). Instructor Bill Shander shows how to make this index data tangible and approachable by imagining the story and visual approach first. He then builds the design in Adobe Illustrator, capitalizing on some automation and scripting abilities the program offers. Start watching for unique insights into the entire data visualization process.
- Working with the data
- Sketching and wireframing your design
- Roughing out the visual design components
- Manually creating the design in Illustrator
- Using Illustrator scripting to improve accuracy, speed, and repeatability
- Designing callout boxes, legends, labels, and more
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Infographics with Illustrator CC (2013)with Mordy Golding4h 16m Intermediate
1. Getting to the Idea
2. Getting to the Visual Approach
Sketching and wireframing8m 22s
3. Roughing Out the Design Elements
4. Bringing the Visuals to Life
Next steps2m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.