Sometimes all you need to do is replace a letter, or several letters, with a picture. This video offers some options and some things to consider.
- [Instructor] It's a commonly used graphic device … to substitute a word or letters … or a part of a letter in a logo with a symbol. … We've all seen the famous I Love New York logo. … This technique works best … if the word is a common one, … or the letter is a simple shape. … Avoid substituting the first … or last letter of a word, … which is likely to cause the word … to be read without the picture. … And keep the image simple. … Let's see some examples. … For the first example, … I've substituted the O … with this target symbol. … This is just a custom shape … that I found in Photoshop. … And we've seen numerous examples, I'm sure, … where the A in the word Star … is substituted with a star. … A less obvious letter to substitute, … but, in this case, it works, … having a hook instead of a J. … And keep in mind that you won't … necessarily need to substitute the whole letter. … In the second example here, … it is just the dot of the I … that is substituted with the fire symbol. … So let's create one ourselves. …
- Choosing the right typeface
- Exploring type variables
- Replacing letters with words
- Creating a circular logo
- Creating a hand-drawn logo
- Designing with simple shapes
- Offsetting multiple paths
- Creating isometric type
- Adding gloss, texture, beveled edges, and transparency
- Designing with negative space
- Choosing logo colors
- Converting colors
- Preparing final files
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Type Effectswith Nigel French2h 51m Intermediate
Side Hustle Strategies for Designerswith Dustin Lee1h 3m Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Working with Illustratorwith Nigel French2h 45m Intermediate
What makes a good logo3m 48s
1. Exploring Type Variables
2. Simple Type Treatments
3. Designing with Simple Shapes: Part 1
4. Designing with Simple Shapes: Part 2
5. Advanced Techniques
6. Logo Effects
7. Choosing Logo Colors
8. Finalizing the Logo
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.