Join Justin Seeley for an in-depth discussion in this video Redefining symbols, part of Illustrator CS6 Essential Training.
If you ever find yourself in a situation where you have broken the link to a…symbol, made some changes to it, and then wanted to actually replace the old…symbol with the new artwork you've created, then you need to utilize something…called the Redefine command inside of Illustrator.…In this movie, I'll be walking you through how to redefine a symbol.…I've got some artwork out here on my artboard, and it was derived from a symbol…that I used inside of the symbol library.…In fact, if you want to open up that symbol library, you can do so from a symbol…libraries menu, and choosing Grime Vector Pack.…
In the Grime Vector Pack, I utilized Grime Vector Pack 02 to create this artwork.…In order to replace this artwork with the artwork I have out on screen, I've to…first make sure that I have all of the artwork selected out of my artboard.…I then have to make sure that I have the symbol selected in my Symbols panel.…I then have to make sure that this symbol is inside of my Symbols panel, and…then I have it selected.…
- Understanding vector graphics
- Creating and setting up files for print or web destinations
- Selecting and transforming objects on the page
- Creating spot colors
- Applying fills, strokes, and gradients to artwork
- Adjusting appearances and effects
- Working with anchor points and paths
- Drawing with the Pen tool
- Creating text
- Managing layers
- Creating and using symbols
- Printing, saving, and exporting artwork
Skill Level Beginner
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more on this topic by visiting graphic design on lynda.com.
What is Illustrator?1m 15s
1. Getting Started
2. Working with Documents
3. Selecting and Transforming Objects
4. Working with Color
5. Working with Fills and Strokes
6. Working with Paths
7. Creating Shapes
8. Don't Be Afraid of the Pen Tool
9. Using Type in Illustrator
10. Adjusting Appearance
11. Working with Layers
12. Working with Images
13. Creating and Using Symbols
14. Drawing in Perspective
15. Printing, Saving, and Exporting
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.