Print Production Essentials: Embossing, Foil Stamping, and Die Cutting
Adding a die cut or emboss to your print job can make a striking visual impact; it's a way of sculpturing and increasing a reader's engagement with your work. Learn about the various types of embossing and die cutting as well as the proper ways to set up your documents to achieve consistent results. Author Claudia McCue covers manufacturing concerns like cost, time, choosing the appropriate paper stock, and file formatting; preparing your artwork for embossing and stamping; and then designing your die-cut project in Adobe Illustrator or InDesign.
- Understanding how dies are created: hand-engraved, machined, or photo-engraved
- Preparing files for die-cutting
- Choosing appropriate stock
- Creating artwork for single- or multi-level embossing
- Checking proofs
- Examining a cutting die
- Handling a complex bleed
Embossing and die cutting: Paper sculpture
- [Voiceover] Hi, I'm Claudia McCue. During this course, I'm going to introduce you to three ways to lure the reader, what I call shape, surface, and shine. Die cutting allows you to shape your printed piece, takes it beyond the boring, old rectangular format. Embossing scalps the surface of your paper. It provides the double enticement of dimension, and tactile engagement. Foil stamping creates the shine that can turn paper into gold. Of course, all these processes require planning, and close collaboration with your printer, even more so than a standard print job.
But these enhancements have the power to grab the attention of a reader, to draw them in, and give your printed piece a chance to deliver its message. So, let's explore the visual impact you can add to your print projects, by using die cutting, embossing, and foil stamping.
Print Production Essentials: Packaging101,743 Views
Print Production Essentials: Spot Colors and Varnish144,999 Views
Print Production Essentials: Prepress and Press Checks82,179 Views
InDesign CS5: Print Production Guidelines282,345 Views
Designing a Calendar71,346 Views
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Fundamentals1,678,359 Views
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Mastery302,647 Views
Deke's Techniques1,567,617 Views
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Advanced392,295 Views
Edge Animate Essential Training632,647 Views