Join John Garrett for an in-depth discussion in this video Next steps, part of Adobe Illustrator: Variable Data.
- [Voiceover] Thank you so much for watching…my course on Adobe Illustrator Variable Data.…I hope I was able to show you the benefits…of using this little known feature in your workflow.…Now that you've completed this course, you're in possession…of some of the most arcane Illustrator knowledge of all,…variables, binding, data sets, spreadsheets, these words…don't appear in the normal course of Illustrator work,…but now you'll know how to handle them when they pop up…and when it's time for you to introduce them yourself.…Remember, the key to variable data is…to put in a little work up so you can…save yourself a lot of work down the line.…
In the future, I'd expect you to develop your own shortcuts…and tweaks to the process, both in Illustrator…and in your spreadsheet applications.…You'll be flying through these steps…like it's second nature.…Plus, there are even more advanced variable…data techniques possible, like recoloring art,…using appearances for even more dynamic effects,…and using scripts in actions.…
Designer John Garrett appreciates the many different types of variables and their practical uses, including generating business cards and direct mailers. In this course, he explains how to use variable data including managing linked images, graphics, tables of data, and graphs. He covers the entire workflow, from setup to exporting dynamic batches.
- Setting up Illustrator files
- Using Appearances
- Setting up data sources
- Importing data
- Managing linked variables
- Binding and using prepend paths and presets
- Using the Variables panel
- Naming data sets
- Generating multiple versions with batch exporting
Skill Level Advanced
1. Exploring Variable Data
2. Setting up Illustrator Files
3. Setting up a CSV Document
4. Importing using Variable Importer Script
5. Working with the Variables Panel
6. Exporting and Reviewing
Creating a save action3m 25s
Next steps1m 12s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.