Join Bill Shander for an in-depth discussion in this video Next steps, part of Designing a Data Visualization.
- I hope you've enjoyed this course and learned a lot.…I know we've covered a lot of ground.…We've analyzed data.…We've done design.…Including following a very complex…production process, really.…Hey, we even did some programming.…But you know what?…That's data visualization.…You always have to deal with data.…That's in fact, usually a huge part…of this work that we do.…You design and solve problems.…And you do tend to have a pretty…involved production process sometimes.…That's one of the things that I love about this field.…It's impossible to get bored because…you have to work so many different muscles all the time.…
Where to go from here?…Well, if you're not a data person by nature,…I would definitely spend some time learning…Excel or other data analysis tools.…Excel is the most common one and it's a great…tool to know how to use pretty well.…Of course, there are a bunch of courses…here on Lynda.com where you can learn all about Excel.…They have essential training courses across…different versions of Excel.…And some tips and tricks, and specific lessons…
The UN Human Development Index used in this course is a perfect example: a composite number used to rank countries on how well they're doing across a range of measures (such as health, wealth, and education). Instructor Bill Shander shows how to make this index data tangible and approachable by imagining the story and visual approach first. He then builds the design in Adobe Illustrator, capitalizing on some automation and scripting abilities the program offers. Start watching for unique insights into the entire data visualization process.
- Working with the data
- Sketching and wireframing your design
- Roughing out the visual design components
- Manually creating the design in Illustrator
- Using Illustrator scripting to improve accuracy, speed, and repeatability
- Designing callout boxes, legends, labels, and more
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Infographics with Illustrator CC (2013)with Mordy Golding4h 16m Intermediate
1. Getting to the Idea
2. Getting to the Visual Approach
Sketching and wireframing8m 22s
3. Roughing Out the Design Elements
4. Bringing the Visuals to Life
Next steps2m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.