Join Mordy Golding for an in-depth discussion in this video Mirroring art for speed and accuracy, part of Illustrator Insider Training: Drawing without the Pen Tool.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
Earlier in this chapter, we spoke about different kinds of transformations and…how they can help us work inside of Illustrator.…Well, let's focus on one technique specifically which is actually reflecting or…mirroring your artwork.…And this could be great because when you are trying to get precise artwork done…and you have a shape that you can actually just draw one-half of, it's much…easier to simply copy or duplicate that other half to complete your drawing.…For example, let's look at Mister Zee's head…right here. You have two eyes, you have ears, you have stripes that…are on one side of his face, you have nostril, right, you have the actual shape of his head.…
So if we just draw one side of his head, we can do half the work and then just…simply flip the other side and create a mirror effect and complete the face.…So not only does it take us half the time to draw the artwork, it also gives us…a much more precise version of artwork as well.…Now in the case the head here, let me share one other thing, because you can see that Mister…
- Drawing artwork versus building artwork
- Sketching ideas on paper
- Creating curves with the Reshape tool
- Recording actions for speed and accuracy
- Working with the Pathfinder functions
- Understanding how Live Paint works
- Using the Shape Builder tool
- Building and coloring artwork at the same time
- Turning variable-width strokes into filled paths
- Adjusting the behavior of the Pencil tool
- Drawing with the Calligraphic brush
Skill Level Intermediate
Illustrator Insider Training: Coloring Artworkwith Mordy Golding4h 44m Intermediate
Illustrator CS5 One-on-One: Advancedwith Deke McClelland14h 53m Intermediate
1. Core Drawing Concepts
2. Workflow: Drawing Paths
3. Pathfinder: Drawing with Math
4. Live Paint: Changing the Rules
5. Shape Builder: Building Artwork
6. Adding Expression: Variable Widths
7. Drawing with a Tablet
Next steps1m 28s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.