Explore the new live character options.
- [Instructor] This chapter is dedicated to showing you the text features that have changed in sort of this release of Illustrator. And they are all designed to save you time and some really exciting options, too. In this document, which I'm using here, of course you could use any of your own, this is just an example, I'm using some type that was actually created, the type face that is, by a friend of mine, Thomas Phinney back when he was the Global Head of Type at Adobe.
Here's the first enhancement. I've simply clicked on this text with the selection tool, I didn't have to enter into text mode by using the text tool. Simply clicked here, and I've got some options that have appeared on the side here. Now you can hover scrub to change values here. So, for example, if I wanted to change the size of these characters, just going to hover over the font size and then scroll down with my mouse.
You don't have a scroll wheel, now, or a magic mouse or something like that, perhaps now would be a good time to grab something like that, because you can see how quick and easy it is for me to change that. I could change the interlinear space in the same way, now as this is a single line, or, if you want to go back to the 19th century then letting. I can also change the tracking here really quickly. I'm just pushing outwards like so, and I can get to those options really, really fast.
The only thing I can't do here, is to hover scrub for the coning, because that really needs to take place between two characters. So, you need to kind of do that one manually and enter text editing mode with the type tool. So I'll select the one underneath here, and I can scroll through the type faces, so I could change that based on those that are in stored on my system. It's a weird and wonderful look at some of the type faces I've got on here at high speed. Just there some of those from letterhead fonts, really exciting. And also through the family variants, if there are any.
I'll just undo that. Mind you I'll be a few undos there, so I think what I'll do is I'll just click in the normal way, and find Hypatia San Pro Bold just there. Okay. Oh, it's jumped to din, but there you are. This will have some variations inside of it, I dare say. No, it doesn't. So let me just try something that does here, and I can scroll through there. As you can see, I can change that between bold and regular really, really quickly. The next option I want to show you is related to this in a way, in that it has something to do with these options here and, also specifically with OpenType So let's go on and check that out in the next movie.
- Using the new Properties panel
- Text enhancements
- Exploring the new live character options
- Using the Touch Type tool with variable fonts
- Using stylistic sets
- Exporting multiple assets and single assets
- Working with the new Puppet Warp tool
- Aligning and transforming multiple artboards
- Working with the New Document dialog features
Skill Level Intermediate
Q. What topics were part of the course update that occurred 04/30/2018?
A. The following topics were part of the update: opening files in Illustrator; and simplifed use of Variable Data in Illustrator.