Join Mordy Golding for an in-depth discussion in this video Learning the two rules of flattening, part of Illustrator: Seeing Through Transparency.
So we understand this concept of transparency flattening.…But let's take a closer look and find out exactly what this process…actually is. How does this file actually go through this process of…transparency flattening?…Not only we will get a better understanding of exactly what transparency…flattening is, we'll learn to avoid potential problems later on in our workflow.…Now I am looking at a document here called blueyellow2.ai.…I have two shapes here.…The yellow shape has the Multiply blend mode applied to it.…So wherever that shape overlaps the blue, I now see green.…
We already established that PostScript does not know how to print transparency.…So when I print this to PostScript device, it's not going to know how to make…that area green where the two objects overlap.…So Illustrator now has to go through this flattening process, so that the…PostScript printer can know what to print.…Now, flattening itself actually happens in two stages, or I actually like to…call them the two rules of flattening.…
- Understanding how transparency works across the Adobe applications
- Deconstructing the Transparency panel
- Adding transparency to gradients
- Understanding how overprints and knockouts work
- Using a gradient or complex appearance as an opacity mask
- The rules of transparency flattening
- Working with complex regions
- Understanding the relationship between flattening and stacking order
- Creating and sharing flattener presets
- Saving PDF files and using the PDF/X standards
Skill Level Intermediate
Illustrator: Coloring Artwork (2011)with Mordy Golding4h 44m Intermediate
Illustrator: Rethinking the Essentialswith Mordy Golding5h 7m Intermediate
Illustrator: Drawing without the Pen Toolwith Mordy Golding4h 39m Intermediate
1. Core Transparency Concepts
2. Applying Transparency
3. Using Opacity Masks
4. Transparency Flattening
5. Establishing a Safe Workflow
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.