Join Mordy Golding for an in-depth discussion in this video Learning from channels in Photoshop, part of Illustrator: Seeing Through Transparency.
Before we actually go to the steps of creating an opacity mask inside of…Illustrator, I thought it would be helpful to first get a better understanding…of how channels work inside of Photoshop, and also how layer masks work…inside of Photoshop.…Now if don't have Photoshop open right now,…that's quite all right.…I'm just going to give you a basic overview of some of these settings.…In reality, if you want to learn everything there is to know about channels…inside of Photoshop, definitely check out Channels and Masks by Deke McClelland.…But for now I just want to cover some basic concepts.…
Really, if you want to think about it, it's just about making selections inside of…Photoshop. Let me explain to you what I mean and this is all going to make a…lot of sense when we apply this knowledge to working with opacity masks back…inside o Illustrator.…Right now I have this file opened up.…it's called glories.psd, and it's a regular plain file with no opacity in it whatsoever.…In fact, I see over here I have a single Background layer with a lock icon on it.…
- Understanding how transparency works across the Adobe applications
- Deconstructing the Transparency panel
- Adding transparency to gradients
- Understanding how overprints and knockouts work
- Using a gradient or complex appearance as an opacity mask
- The rules of transparency flattening
- Working with complex regions
- Understanding the relationship between flattening and stacking order
- Creating and sharing flattener presets
- Saving PDF files and using the PDF/X standards
Skill Level Intermediate
Illustrator: Coloring Artwork (2011)with Mordy Golding4h 44m Intermediate
Illustrator: Rethinking the Essentialswith Mordy Golding5h 7m Intermediate
Illustrator: Drawing without the Pen Toolwith Mordy Golding4h 39m Intermediate
1. Core Transparency Concepts
2. Applying Transparency
3. Using Opacity Masks
4. Transparency Flattening
5. Establishing a Safe Workflow
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.