Explore some best practice guidelines for naming of layers and objects.
- Naming elements in your Illustrator file…can pay dividends downstream of you completing the file…especially if you're working on designs for interfaces,…and components of interfaces…because you're generally exporting a lot of content.…In this completely fictitious layout…just here I've got two layers,…and they're easy enough to name…because the background here is the background,…and the icons are above it.…So I'll just call this bg for background,…and Layer 2 I'll change that to icons.…
But a lot of people leave it at that,…but there's so much more you could do.…If I twirl open the icons layer…you can see on the left hand side…there's a little gear icon,…and then on the right hand side at the top…there's a network icon, and a user icon, and an exit icon.…So if I rename these accordingly.…If I call this one settings like so,…and come along to the next one I'll call that network.…And then the next one below that in the layout,…but above it in the layers panel here is user.…
It might have made sense, actually (chuckling)…
Watch Tony's companion course, Photoshop for the In-House Designer, to learn time-saving techniques using Photoshop templates, presets, brushes, and more.
- Producing print and digital graphics
- Using artboards, layers, and libraries
- File output formats
- Using Asset Export
- Creating symbols and libraries
- SVG interactivity
- Print production
- Using Illustrator plugins
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign for the In-House Designerwith Claudia McCue10h 33m Intermediate
Photoshop for the In-House Designerwith Tony Harmer1h 44m Beginner
1. Producing Print Graphics in Illustrator
2. Producing Digital Graphics in Illustrator
3. Basic Print Production in Illustrator
4. Using Plugins
Next steps1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.