Illustrator Insider Training: Type and Text
In this installment of Illustrator Insider Training, author Mordy Golding shows how to create type that’s both beautiful and communicative, whether it’s destined for logos, brochures, signs, infographics, or simple documents. This course covers core typography concepts, such as working with Unicode and OpenType fonts, applying character and paragraph settings, managing text with styles and text threads, placing text along a path, and wrapping text around graphics.
- Understanding the three type objects in Illustrator
- Importing text from Microsoft Word
- Using the Glyphs panel
- Converting text into editable vector paths
- Kerning and scaling characters
- Setting indents and spacing
- Threading text across multiple objects
- Sharing styles across multiple documents
- Understanding style overrides
- Changing text with Find and Replace
- Wrapping text
- Setting type along a path
- Updating legacy text
- [Voiceover] Hi there! My name is Mordy Golding and welcome to Illustrator Insider Training Type and Text. We use text both as an art form and as a way to communicate information. In fact, working with text is so important that it warrants it's own Illustrator Insider Training course. We'll start by covering some core typography concepts and understanding how text works inside of illustrator. Then we'll focus on the fun topic of fonts, covering the different technology supported by Illustrator and techniques for unlocking powerful functionality like automatic glyph replacement, that is often overlooked or misunderstood.
Next, we'll explore every nuance of character and paragraph based settings including optical kerning, tabs, composition, and hyphenation. We'll also learn how to manage text throughout our documents using things like text threads and character and paragraph styles. In addition, we'll cover a plethora of type related features like spell checking, smart punctuation, find and replace, and wrapping text around graphics. Along the way, as we always do in the Illustrator Insider Training series, we'll learn valuable tips and gain insight and advice from an insider's perspective on how to get the most out of working with text.
So what are we waiting for? Let's get started learning everything from A to Z about Type and Text and Adobe Illustrator.
Illustrator Insider Training: Rethinking the Essentials422,979 Views
Illustrator Insider Training: Coloring Artwork186,962 Views
Using Symbols in Illustrator61,810 Views
Illustrator CS6 One-on-One: Mastery221,977 Views
Illustrator CS6 One-on-One: Advanced387,917 Views
3ds Max 2015 Essential Training514,144 Views
Photoshop CC 2013 One-on-One: Fundamentals1,447,213 Views
After Effects CC Essential Training2,626,905 Views
Deke's Techniques1,560,305 Views
3ds Max 2013 Essential Training827,256 Views