Ready to watch this entire course?
Become a member and get unlimited access to the entire skills library of over 4,800 courses, including more Design and personalized recommendations.Start Your Free Trial Now
- View Offline
Deke will add new videos as new features for Illustrator CC are revealed, ensuring you'll always be up to date on the latest tools.
- Creating new documents
- Moving, modifying, and resizing artboards
- Drawing with the line tools
- Drawing geometric shapes
- Auto-tracing an image
- Rotating and duplicating objects
- Grouping and stacking
- Erasing and painting selected paths
- Using the Shape Builder tool
- Reflecting across an angled axis
- Placing and flowing text
- Previewing and assigning fonts
- Adjusting type size
- Creating and applying paragraph styles
- Using the Glyphs panel
- Inserting and removing anchor points with the Pen tool
Skill Level Beginner
- Hello, this is Deke McClelland. Welcome to Illustrator one-on-one fundamentals, part one in a series of four video courses devoted to your ultimate mastery of the worlds most powerful vector based drawing software. The one-on-one brand is a promise, first, you'll have me. I started using Illustrator in 1987, the year it came out and frankly, it was love at first sight. Which is why I've been writing books and recording videos about the program ever since.
Give me your time and attention and I'll show you everything I know, in the order you need to know it. No crowded classroom and no scheduling conflicts. It's just you and me one-on-one, any time that it's convenient for you to learn. Second, one-on-one, is project based learning. You'll create professional quality artwork from scratch using nothing more than Illustrators most basic line and shape tools. You'll trace a piece of scanned line art and scale it to any size you like.
You'll paint an elaborate mosaic design, again from scratch, using Illustrators most capable painting tools. You'll create a beautifully formatted text document and you'll experience the unbridled power of the pen tool which let's you draw any outline you can imagine one point at a time. The result is a contextualized learning program. Illustrators features make sense because you apply them, sometimes independently other times in concert to a clearly defined task and you leave each chapter with a sense of accomplishment.
I really hope there are moments where you feel, I rule. Not me, you, saying "I rule. "I can do this and I can do more." One last item, now that Illustrator is part of the creative cloud the sweeping version number updates of the past will be replaced by a literal stream of much more frequent and nimble enhancements. And just as Illustrator will be a fluid application, this will be a fluid course. So rather than re-record every movie, every time a revision is released, an impossible task.
I will update and add movies where they need attention. Which means you may see the occasional command or widget on your screen that doesn't appear on mine. But rest assured, everything I'll be showing you works as advertised. And with that I release you to experience Illustrator as I truly hope you have never experienced it before.
Sign up for a Premium Membership to download courses for Internet-free viewing.
Watch offline with your iOS, Android, or desktop app.Start Your Free Trial
After signing up, download the course here or from the iOS/Android App.