Join Von Glitschka for an in-depth discussion in this video Graphic styles and custom color palettes, part of Drawing Vector Graphics (2012).
- When I scan in a drawing that will be the basis…of an illustrative design,…it's always in black and white…and toned back to around 15 to 20%.…To simplify the process…of building my vector shapes in Illustrator,…I use a default graphic style.…So we're going to take a look at an illustration…that I created for a cover on a book…for Illustrator actually,…"Real World Illustrator" by Mordy Golding.…
This was part of the cover design that I created…for one of his books…and the character I used.…Now, as with almost every project I work on,…with exception, maybe very iconic, geometric-based icons,…everything starts with drawing.…Everything starts in analog…and it guides my digital efforts.…Once again, I've placed my refined sketch into Illustrator,…put it on its own layer,…set the opacity to about 20% and mocked it.…
And on the layer above it, the Build layer,…as you can see here in the layers panel,…I'm going to now build my vector artwork…based on my underlying drawing.…Now, when I build my vector shapes in Illustrator,…
- What is illustrative design?
- Establishing a creative brief
- Defining client expectations
- Exploring creative thinking exercises
- Art directing your drawing
- Selecting an appropriate style for each project
- Drawing and thumbnail sketching
- Discerning anchor point placement
- Building vector drawings with shapes
- Presenting your illustrations
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 12/01/2015. What changed?
A: We updated 17 movies to reflect changes to the vector drawing workflow in Illustrator CC 2015.
Illustrator: Drawing without the Pen Toolwith Mordy Golding4h 39m Intermediate
Illustrator CS6 Essential Trainingwith Justin Seeley8h 48m Beginner
Insights on Illustrative Designwith Von Glitschka31m 2s Beginner
1. The Process
2. Creative Preparation
3. Drawing Your Design
4. Workflow Enhancements
5. Building Vector Shapes
6. Presenting Your Designs
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.