Gedeon Mahuex features his icon design work, methods, sketches, and more.
- [Instructor] I first discovered the work of Gideon Mayhew…and his business back in the 1990s, when iconography…was a very small niche subculture within design.…His company, iconfactory.com, used to have a yearly event…called Pixelpalooza, and they create and release…freeware icon sets you could download and use…on folders, et cetera.…So let's take a look at how Gideon and his team…approach user interface icon design for some of…the most recognized brands in the world.…
So, this here is a PSD file that Gideon provided me,…and this is how they go about developing…each and every icon they create for their client.…Now, why am I showing you this, I thought this was…a vector-based kind of icon course?…Well, it is.…The nice thing about Photoshop is you can use…smart objects within Photoshop that are vector-based…in order to create in the Photoshop environment,…which does give you a far greater range of control…for certain types of detailing.…
So, we're going to dive into this, and you can see here,…on this template, these are all the various size iterations…
- Developing icon ideas
- Simplifying complex shapes
- Drawing visual metaphors
- Establishing visual continuity
- Creating flat icons
- Creating long shadow icons
- Detailing icons
- Creating pixel perfect icons
- Reviewing how icon art is used in a variety of design contexts
Skill Level Intermediate
Drawing Vector Graphics: Patternswith Von Glitschka4h Intermediate
1. Iconic Fundamentals
2. Vector Icon Design
3. Raster Icon Design
4. Iconography Samples
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.