Join Justin Seeley for an in-depth discussion in this video Exploring the Image Trace panel, part of Illustrator CS6 Essential Training.
Up until now, we've been working with raster-based graphics inside of…Illustrator, and they have just stayed in their raster or bitmap format.…But now we are going to explore how we can begin to convert those raster…graphics into vector format.…Illustrator has a great feature called Image Trace, which is a new version of…the old Live Trace feature.…And in Illustrator CS6, it's gotten a lot better, and a lot faster.…Basically, what this allows you to do is take a bitmap graphic -- a JPEG, a TIFF, a…GIF whatever it might be -- and then trace it using an automatic command inside of…Illustrator, and convert it into a vector format. Let's take a look;…I am going to create a new document by hitting Command+N or Control+N on my keyboard.…
And I will just use the Letter Size, and I will make sure it's Horizontal…Orientation, and I will hit OK.…You can create any size document you want; doesn't really matter.…I am going to go up to the File menu now, and I'm going to Place in a graphic.…I will go to my Chapter 12 Folder, go into images, and I'll place in the red_paint.…
- Understanding vector graphics
- Creating and setting up files for print or web destinations
- Selecting and transforming objects on the page
- Creating spot colors
- Applying fills, strokes, and gradients to artwork
- Adjusting appearances and effects
- Working with anchor points and paths
- Drawing with the Pen tool
- Creating text
- Managing layers
- Creating and using symbols
- Printing, saving, and exporting artwork
Skill Level Beginner
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more on this topic by visiting <a href="../../../discover/graphic-design">graphic design on lynda.com</a>.
What is Illustrator?1m 15s
1. Getting Started
2. Working with Documents
3. Selecting and Transforming Objects
4. Working with Color
5. Working with Fills and Strokes
6. Working with Paths
7. Creating Shapes
8. Don't Be Afraid of the Pen Tool
9. Using Type in Illustrator
10. Adjusting Appearance
11. Working with Layers
12. Working with Images
13. Creating and Using Symbols
14. Drawing in Perspective
15. Printing, Saving, and Exporting
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.