Join Mordy Golding for an in-depth discussion in this video Editing an opacity mask, part of Illustrator: Seeing Through Transparency.
Once you've created an opacity mask inside of Illustrator you might want to go…ahead now and make some edits to that mask.…Now you can totally do that. However, editing an opacity mask is somewhat of a…different experience than working with a regular mask.…Let me explain why.…I'm now going to select this object right here.…Notice over here in my Layers panel that if I click on this twirl down here to…reveal the contents of this group, I have one object here called glories.…That's the embedded image that I was working with.…But you remember we actually created the mask by using this circle that had a…Gaussian Blur applied to it. Where is it?…I don't see it listed here in my Layers panel at all.…
And we all know that the Layers panel always shows me the entire hierarchy of my document.…So somehow that circle seems to have disappeared.…Well, the answer is that circle now actually became the mask, which is now kind…of hidden inside of the image itself.…In other words, what an opacity mask really does is it controls the visibility…
- Understanding how transparency works across the Adobe applications
- Deconstructing the Transparency panel
- Adding transparency to gradients
- Understanding how overprints and knockouts work
- Using a gradient or complex appearance as an opacity mask
- The rules of transparency flattening
- Working with complex regions
- Understanding the relationship between flattening and stacking order
- Creating and sharing flattener presets
- Saving PDF files and using the PDF/X standards
Skill Level Intermediate
Illustrator: Coloring Artwork (2011)with Mordy Golding4h 44m Intermediate
Illustrator: Rethinking the Essentialswith Mordy Golding5h 7m Intermediate
Illustrator: Drawing without the Pen Toolwith Mordy Golding4h 39m Intermediate
1. Core Transparency Concepts
2. Applying Transparency
3. Using Opacity Masks
4. Transparency Flattening
5. Establishing a Safe Workflow
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.