Ready to watch this entire course?
Become a member and get unlimited access to the entire skills library of over 4,800 courses, including more Design and personalized recommendations.Start Your Free Trial Now
- View Offline
In this installment of Drawing Vector Graphics, Von Glitschka demystifies the pattern design process, explaining tessellations (mathematical tiles that lie at the heart of patterns) and visiting the various methods of creating new patterns. He shows how to build repeating patterns with Illustrator's pattern tools and pattern brushes, and incorporate patterns into your design. The course also features patterns from some of the industry's most inspiring designers.
- Establishing the bounding box for your tile
- Drawing your design
- Creating a pattern swatch
- Refining art with the Pattern tool
- Saving your design
- Creating a pattern brush
- Using your pattern in designs
Skill Level Intermediate
- Patterns are truly universal. They're found in the stock market, shark behavior, male-pattern baldness, grammar, and even media rights. Creative types throughout the ages use visual-based patterns to create some of the most compelling art in history. And throughout the course of human history, every culture has created their own unique expression of art through the form of pattern design. I'm thankful we have the ability to create the same type of compelling patterns, and do so with the ease of the digital workflow.
But that said, analog skills still play a big part in creating well-crafted pattern designs, as you'll soon see. In this course, we're focusing specifically on drawing, designing, and creating vector-based repeat patterns in Adobe Illustrator. We're going to discuss how to plan and map out a repeat pattern, the various ways of building it, and how to use your patterns in a diverse range of applications.
We'll also feature the work of some of the industry's most inspiring pattern designers. Learning how to create custom repeat patterns will help you develop a skill set you can apply to a wide range of usages in your own creative projects. Let's get started.
Sign up for a Premium Membership to download courses for Internet-free viewing.
Watch offline with your iOS, Android, or desktop app.Start Your Free Trial
After signing up, download the course here or from the iOS/Android App.