- Understanding where your map will be used
- Finding reference material
- Using symbols and masks
- Drawing roads, rivers, buildings, and other landmarks
- Adding type
- Enhancing your map
- Adding interactivity and animation
Skill Level Intermediate
- [Tony] Hello there, my name is Tony Harmer and I'd very much like to welcome you to this course on creating simplified maps in Illustrator. You may be wondering why you'd create your own simple maps in the first place in a world where we have searchable online mapping services at our fingertips. And for me, the answer is control of the level of detail and of course presentation that is suited to wherever the map is going to be used. Also, not every map requires specific geolocation data to be useful.
Some maps are made to enhance an experience such as one you might get on a visit to a park or to make new surroundings appear more friendly such as visiting a new campus. In this course, we're going to investigate making simplified maps using Adobe Illustrator. We'll be taking a look at some design considerations, covering some essential techniques that are useful for map making, creating a simplified map then enhancing it, and after that looking at making motion and interactive maps.
From there, you should have enough information to be able to continue your journey well beyond this course and make some awesome maps of your own.
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Intermediatewith Deke McClelland11h 37m Intermediate
Creating a Map with Illustratorwith William Everhart2h 48m Intermediate
Draw Better and Faster with Illustrator CCwith Deke McClelland1h 52m Appropriate for all
1. Designing a Simplified Map
2. Basic Skills
3. Creating a Simplified Map
4. Enhancing Your Map
5. Interactive Maps
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.