Join Mordy Golding for an in-depth discussion in this video Drawing with the Calligraphic Brush tool, part of Illustrator Insider Training: Drawing without the Pen Tool.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
Up until this point we have been using our tablet, but remember that the tablet…is a pressure-sensitive tablet.…Meaning if we press harder we can actually vary the width of the strokes that…we were putting down.…Now, we have already discussed in the previous chapter that Illustrator has a…feature called a Width tool.…And I can actually vary the width of a stroke along its path.…But that's something that I apply to a stroke and I do it after I have…already created the path.…However, if I am in a paradigm right now where I am actually trying to sketch…or draw something on the screen, I may want to be able to translate those thick…and thins using the amounts of pressure that I applied to the pen as a draw.…
Now, I can't do that with the Pencil tool.…However, there is a tool inside of Illustrator called the Paintbrush tool, which…allows me to use a brush inside of Illustrator called a Calligraphic Brush.…This particular brush, the Calligraphic Brush, can have pressure…settings applied to it.…Let's see how we can do that to actually add pressure as we draw inside of Illustrator.…
- Drawing artwork versus building artwork
- Sketching ideas on paper
- Creating curves with the Reshape tool
- Recording actions for speed and accuracy
- Working with the Pathfinder functions
- Understanding how Live Paint works
- Using the Shape Builder tool
- Building and coloring artwork at the same time
- Turning variable-width strokes into filled paths
- Adjusting the behavior of the Pencil tool
- Drawing with the Calligraphic brush
Skill Level Intermediate
Illustrator Insider Training: Coloring Artworkwith Mordy Golding4h 44m Intermediate
Illustrator CS5 One-on-One: Advancedwith Deke McClelland14h 53m Intermediate
1. Core Drawing Concepts
2. Workflow: Drawing Paths
3. Pathfinder: Drawing with Math
4. Live Paint: Changing the Rules
5. Shape Builder: Building Artwork
6. Adding Expression: Variable Widths
7. Drawing with a Tablet
Next steps1m 28s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.