Join Russell Viers for an in-depth discussion in this video Cropping photos (using clipping masks), part of 11 Things Every Beginner Needs to Learn to Love Illustrator.
An email I get all the time is, hey Russell how do I crop a photo in Illustrator? …Well, you don't really. It's not like PhotoShop where I'm gonna …take this photograph and crop it down. And it's not like in design, or quark …where you place it into a frame necessarilly, and then you can move the …frame around a crop. It's a different animal in Illustrator, …so it's really important we understand what's going on here. …And what these things are called are Clipping Mask. …We're gonna use Clipping Mask, and we're gonna do a couple tricks here.…
But basically in this chapter we're gonna learn how to, and I'm doing the …proverbial quote marks in the air here, Crop, a photo, in Illustrator. …But we don't. Just to be sure, we don't crop photos, we …merely mask out, or clip, what we don't want to have visible. …So lets just do a really basic one right now. …Well, I've got this art here, and I'm gonna zoom out a click there, and I'm …gonna make this bigger Then the page, by shift-dragging. …And you can see that the art extends off the page. …
- Creating shapes and lines
- Modifying paths
- Transforming objects
- Using Illustrator's brushes
- Creating your own brushes
- Fun with text
- Understanding layers, groups, and sublayers
- Working with photos and other art
- Placing Illustrator files
Skill Level Beginner
1. Introduction to Vector Data
2. What Is Illustrator?
3. Fun with Shapes
Creating shapes12m 18s
4. The Humble Line Tool: It's Not as Simple as It Sounds
5. Illustrator Kindergarten
Drawing tools16m 56s
6. Modifying Your Paths
7. You've Made a Path, Now What?
8. This Isn't Your Average Brush Tool
9. Time for Some Words
10. Working with Your Art Gets Easier with Layers
11. Bringing in Photos and Other Graphics for More Fun
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.