Join Justin Seeley for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating spot colors, part of Illustrator CS6 Essential Training.
In many cases when you're dealing with branding, especially logos and letterheads…and things like that, you're going to run across the need to create something…called a spot color swatch.…This is a swatch that's used to reproduce a color exactly as it's supposed to…appear each and every time.…Famous brands utilize their own special swatches all the time, stuff like…Coca-Cola red, Pepsi blue; they're iconic colors that you instantly recognize and…they wouldn't have you use any other color but that specified color.…
Now I'm going to show you how to create your own spot color swatches here inside…of Illustrator. It's actually really simple.…Once you have your colors like you like them, in this case I have this purple,…the orange and the gray, I'm going to add those to my Swatches Library and then…I'm going to turn them into spot colors.…I'm going to go up to my Window menu and I'm going to bring back up my Swatches…panel, because I temporarily closed it.…Once I get the Swatches panel back out on screen I can then start adding my…
- Understanding vector graphics
- Creating and setting up files for print or web destinations
- Selecting and transforming objects on the page
- Creating spot colors
- Applying fills, strokes, and gradients to artwork
- Adjusting appearances and effects
- Working with anchor points and paths
- Drawing with the Pen tool
- Creating text
- Managing layers
- Creating and using symbols
- Printing, saving, and exporting artwork
Skill Level Beginner
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more on this topic by visiting graphic design on lynda.com.
What is Illustrator?1m 15s
1. Getting Started
2. Working with Documents
3. Selecting and Transforming Objects
4. Working with Color
5. Working with Fills and Strokes
6. Working with Paths
7. Creating Shapes
8. Don't Be Afraid of the Pen Tool
9. Using Type in Illustrator
10. Adjusting Appearance
11. Working with Layers
12. Working with Images
13. Creating and Using Symbols
14. Drawing in Perspective
15. Printing, Saving, and Exporting
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.