Join Nigel French for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating shine, part of Logo Design: Techniques.
- Advances in our software make it easier to apply dimensional effects like shines, glosses, and bevels to our logos. And adding such effects can be a great way of refreshing an existing brand, and bringing a logo up-to-date. But we need to be careful that we don't introduce bitmap elements that are resolution dependent. In this chapter, I'm going to look at adding some popular effects, all of which will be completely scalable. Let's create a simple shine in the corner of our enclosing shape.
I'll start by rounding the corners. I'll then come and apply a warping effect, inflate by 10 percent. I will then copy that shape, paste that shape in front, so that's CMD or CTRL + C, CMD or CTRL + F. I'll scale the copy from the center point holding down the OPT or ALT key, and then I will apply a gradient to that. Now I will come and get my gradient panel, which has gone missing in action, so I'll come choose it from the "Window" menu.
I want my gradient to be a white-to-white gradient, so I'll select the currently black gradient stop, hold down OPT or ALT and click on "white," and then I want to reduce its opacity to zero. I'll now choose my gradient tool and I'll just pull down from that top corner to determine how much of the gradient we see. And I might need to take a few go's at getting that just right, but that, essentially, is the technique.
- Generating logo ideas
- Choosing the right typeface
- Designing with simple shapes
- Adding shine, texture, beveled edges, and transparency
- Designing with negative space
- Choosing logo colors
- Preparing final files
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Makes a Good Logo?
2. Exploring Type Variables
3. Type Treatments
4. Designing with Simple Shapes
5. Logo Motifs
6. Logo Effects
7. Choosing Logo Colors
8. Lines and Stripes
9. Simple 3D and Shadow Effects
10. Finalizing the Logo
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.