Learn how to paint shadows using vector paintbrushes in Adobe Illustrator.
- [Voiceover] We're now gonna progress our illustrations…by adding shadows to the artwork.…This is gonna help form and kinda shape…the overall composition in such a way…that it brings a lot of dimension to our illustration.…Now, you can see I've done some of that work already…in regards to the leaf and the detailing in that…and some of that work has already been done in the stem.…Now, one thing that's really important…as you start to compose your illustration is…don't be afraid to break out the…different areas of it into distinct layers.…
So, here you can see, I have the pear on its own layer,…I have the leaves and stem on their own layer,…and I even have the background on its own layer.…But, then I have a layer underneath it…which I call "Edge Work", and usually,…I just put this on the same layer as the background,…but this is an important, kind of, detailing aspect…about working in the style that…I think, is worth calling out here,…and that is what I call "edge work".…This is what the background shape was…the last time you saw it, and I have a line-work brush…
Graphic designer Von Glitschka appreciates the endless brush stroke freedom that real-world brushes offer, and he knows how to replicate this offering in the digital world. In this course, he shows how to create your own custom, handmade brush strokes and import them into Adobe Illustrator. Von demonstrates how to compile and use custom brush strokes to achieve both a hand-painted aesthetic and a personal touch. Whether you're a painter, a designer, or just a fan of Illustrator, this course offers instructions on how to expand your use of Illustrator.
- Painting real brush strokes
- Transforming real brush strokes into digital brush strokes
- Importing brush strokes
- Creating bitmap surface textures
- Modifying vectors
- Compiling patterns, shapes, and strokes
- Working with layers and blend modes
- Using vector brushes
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Creating an Authentic Look
2. Using Vector Brushes
3. Vector Painting Process
4. Deconstructing Complex Vector Paintings
5. Using Adobe Capture
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.