Join Justin Seeley for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating point and area text, part of Illustrator CS6 Essential Training.
When you're creating text here inside of Illustrator, you've actually got two…options for creating text: one is called Point text, and the other is called Area text.…In this movie, I'll be exploring both Point and Area text, and discussing the…differences between them, and why you would use one versus the other.…Point text is the simplest way to add text to a document inside of Illustrator,…you go over to the text tool in the Tools panel, grab it, point to an area you…want to add type to, and then click and start typing; it's that simple.…Area text is a little bit different.…
Area text implies that you have a lot of type that you need to set, and it's…going to be inside of a specified area that you define.…So instead of just pointing and clicking, you actually draw out a box, and put…the text inside of it. Let's go ahead and start by adding some point text to…this document first.…I'm going to go ahead and click somewhere in this region here, and just click…one time to start typing.…Once I do that, I'll get a blinking cursor, and I can then start typing out my text.…
- Understanding vector graphics
- Creating and setting up files for print or web destinations
- Selecting and transforming objects on the page
- Creating spot colors
- Applying fills, strokes, and gradients to artwork
- Adjusting appearances and effects
- Working with anchor points and paths
- Drawing with the Pen tool
- Creating text
- Managing layers
- Creating and using symbols
- Printing, saving, and exporting artwork
Skill Level Beginner
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more on this topic by visiting graphic design on lynda.com.
What is Illustrator?1m 15s
1. Getting Started
2. Working with Documents
3. Selecting and Transforming Objects
4. Working with Color
5. Working with Fills and Strokes
6. Working with Paths
7. Creating Shapes
8. Don't Be Afraid of the Pen Tool
9. Using Type in Illustrator
10. Adjusting Appearance
11. Working with Layers
12. Working with Images
13. Creating and Using Symbols
14. Drawing in Perspective
15. Printing, Saving, and Exporting
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.