Join Justin Seeley for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating new symbols, part of Illustrator CS6 Essential Training.
My main reason for using symbols is to categorize and organize artwork that I'm…going to use over and over again throughout many different projects.…For instance, look at this document I have open here.…I've got several little icons that I might want to use in various projects…that I'm working on.…However, I don't want to have to open up this document each and every time, copy,…and then paste into another document.…I want to be able to save these as their own Symbol library; that way, I can…simply use them at any given time.…
In this movie, I'm going to walk you through creating a new symbol, and also…creating a new symbol library at the same time.…So the first thing I need to do is I need to define a new symbol, and I'm going…to do that for this little hat right here.…So I'm going to select the graduation hat, and the easiest way to create a…symbol is just to simply take this hat, click it, and drag it over to the Symbols panel.…I'll drop it in, and it comes up with Symbol Options, and I'll just name…
- Understanding vector graphics
- Creating and setting up files for print or web destinations
- Selecting and transforming objects on the page
- Creating spot colors
- Applying fills, strokes, and gradients to artwork
- Adjusting appearances and effects
- Working with anchor points and paths
- Drawing with the Pen tool
- Creating text
- Managing layers
- Creating and using symbols
- Printing, saving, and exporting artwork
Skill Level Beginner
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more on this topic by visiting graphic design on lynda.com.
What is Illustrator?1m 15s
1. Getting Started
2. Working with Documents
3. Selecting and Transforming Objects
4. Working with Color
5. Working with Fills and Strokes
6. Working with Paths
7. Creating Shapes
8. Don't Be Afraid of the Pen Tool
9. Using Type in Illustrator
10. Adjusting Appearance
11. Working with Layers
12. Working with Images
13. Creating and Using Symbols
14. Drawing in Perspective
15. Printing, Saving, and Exporting
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.