Learn how to paint highlights using vector paintbrushes in Adobe Illustrator.
- [Voiceover] We're now gonna work out…the highlights on our illustration, doing more brushwork,…and one thing you can do when you're working…on an illustration like this is you can…use the paint brush tool and you can paint out a brush,…but sometimes, it works best to apply it to a path…but the path doesn't have to be a single stroke.…It can be a shape.…That's what we did initially on the background…here of this illustration.…
We applied a line work brush to get a nice edge…that doesn't look computer driven.…It looks more organic.…Added brush strokes to it to make it look very painterly.…Well, we can use that same approach…for doing some of the detailing and the highlight works,…and that's what we're gonna do on this layer here,…and it's gonna involve creating elliptical shapes.…So we'll go over here and select ellipse tool,…and in terms of the color for all of our highlights…on this specific illustration,…we're just gonna be using white…and just different opacity settings of that white…to create all the highlights that we need in this art.…
Graphic designer Von Glitschka appreciates the endless brush stroke freedom that real-world brushes offer, and he knows how to replicate this offering in the digital world. In this course, he shows how to create your own custom, handmade brush strokes and import them into Adobe Illustrator. Von demonstrates how to compile and use custom brush strokes to achieve both a hand-painted aesthetic and a personal touch. Whether you're a painter, a designer, or just a fan of Illustrator, this course offers instructions on how to expand your use of Illustrator.
- Painting real brush strokes
- Transforming real brush strokes into digital brush strokes
- Importing brush strokes
- Creating bitmap surface textures
- Modifying vectors
- Compiling patterns, shapes, and strokes
- Working with layers and blend modes
- Using vector brushes
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Creating an Authentic Look
2. Using Vector Brushes
3. Vector Painting Process
4. Deconstructing Complex Vector Paintings
5. Using Adobe Capture
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.