Learn about adding volumetric aesthetics to flat icon artwork.
- [Instructor] In this movie, we're going to take…flat, simple icons and create the illusion…of an engraved surface that they've been carved into.…This is better shown than explained, so let's get started.…Now, I was tasked to create a graphic for a website…and because it's onscreen graphic,…I'm keeping all the icons within a square proportion,…because it's more of a user interface design,…and that's why I'm doing it.…Now, if it was print, far more flexible,…but in this case, it's user interface.…
So I want to show you how I take the approach…to make these icons look as if they're embedded…into the interface on this website…that I'm creating the graphics for.…And that involves a background…that's somewhat of a metallic gray color,…and the icons are going to sit on top of it.…Now, we're going to focus on the gear icon for this.…I'm going to go ahead and zoom in on that one,…and the first thing we're going to do…with our limited color palate is…we're going to colorize this one…the darkest grayish hue as shown here.…
- Developing icon ideas
- Simplifying complex shapes
- Drawing visual metaphors
- Establishing visual continuity
- Creating flat icons
- Creating long shadow icons
- Detailing icons
- Creating pixel perfect icons
- Reviewing how icon art is used in a variety of design contexts
Skill Level Intermediate
Drawing Vector Graphics: Patternswith Von Glitschka4h Intermediate
1. Iconic Fundamentals
2. Vector Icon Design
3. Raster Icon Design
4. Iconography Samples
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.