Join Justin Seeley for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating and editing layers, part of Illustrator CS6 Essential Training.
As you continue to work as a graphic designer, you're go find that not everyone…is nice enough to use layers in their design.…So if someone ever sends you artwork that doesn't have layers currently in the…document, I am going to show you how to remedy that by creating and editing your…own layers along the way.…So in this case, I have got a piece of artwork here, and it doesn't have…layers in it, necessarily.…It's got one single layer called Background,…and if I expand this out, you can see that it's got several different groups, and…subgroups, and sublayers, and it's just a big mess, making it hard for me to find…everything that I'm looking for.…
So what I am going to do is create several layers to help me out with the…organizational structure.…The first thing I am going to do is take inventory of the document that I'm…looking at, and decide exactly what pieces are going to go on each layer.…So I know for a fact that I want to create a layer for this photograph.…I want the photo to be on its own layer.…
- Understanding vector graphics
- Creating and setting up files for print or web destinations
- Selecting and transforming objects on the page
- Creating spot colors
- Applying fills, strokes, and gradients to artwork
- Adjusting appearances and effects
- Working with anchor points and paths
- Drawing with the Pen tool
- Creating text
- Managing layers
- Creating and using symbols
- Printing, saving, and exporting artwork
Skill Level Beginner
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more on this topic by visiting graphic design on lynda.com.
What is Illustrator?1m 15s
1. Getting Started
2. Working with Documents
3. Selecting and Transforming Objects
4. Working with Color
5. Working with Fills and Strokes
6. Working with Paths
7. Creating Shapes
8. Don't Be Afraid of the Pen Tool
9. Using Type in Illustrator
10. Adjusting Appearance
11. Working with Layers
12. Working with Images
13. Creating and Using Symbols
14. Drawing in Perspective
15. Printing, Saving, and Exporting
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.