Join Mordy Golding for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating curves with the Reshape tool, part of Illustrator Insider Training: Drawing without the Pen Tool.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
In the previous movie we saw how we can take some basic shapes like ellipses and…by simply rotating them or resizing them in a certain way we can actually get…the curves that we need to create some artwork.…However, not every curve that I need for my artwork is going to be able to…reproduced using some of these basic shapes.…Sometimes I need to create more complex curves.…Let's take a closer look at Mister Zee here in this file. It's called Sketch3.…If I zoom in over here, you can see that I started to create ellipses, so I…start creating some of the stripes in the bottom of his belly over here.…
But I also have to create this line across the bottom here like this.…Now it doesn't really match perfectly just because the nuance is the way that it…is that I would be able to use maybe an oval shape to draw that.…So I want to create a curve in another way and then if we take a look at some of…the other curves here on the body, like for example, this part of the leg. This…is a curve that starts in one direction and then comes back in another.…
- Drawing artwork versus building artwork
- Sketching ideas on paper
- Creating curves with the Reshape tool
- Recording actions for speed and accuracy
- Working with the Pathfinder functions
- Understanding how Live Paint works
- Using the Shape Builder tool
- Building and coloring artwork at the same time
- Turning variable-width strokes into filled paths
- Adjusting the behavior of the Pencil tool
- Drawing with the Calligraphic brush
Skill Level Intermediate
Illustrator Insider Training: Coloring Artworkwith Mordy Golding4h 44m Intermediate
Illustrator CS5 One-on-One: Advancedwith Deke McClelland14h 53m Intermediate
1. Core Drawing Concepts
2. Workflow: Drawing Paths
3. Pathfinder: Drawing with Math
4. Live Paint: Changing the Rules
5. Shape Builder: Building Artwork
6. Adding Expression: Variable Widths
7. Drawing with a Tablet
Next steps1m 28s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.