Join Justin Seeley for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating compound paths, part of Illustrator CS6 Essential Training.
One of the best ways to create complex artwork inside of Illustrator is to…create something known as a compound path, and in this movie, I'm going to be…walking you through exactly how to do that, using some of the Pathfinder commands…here inside of Illustrator.…First thing I'm going to do is zoom in on a piece of artwork.…So I'll just grab my Zoom tool, and zoom in on this artwork in the top left corner.…Once I do that, I'm going to select both pieces of artwork.…It's actually two separate pieces: a starburst, and then the flower…pattern in the back.…Then I'm going to go up to the Window menu, and I'm going to find the Pathfinder.…
You can also bring that up by hitting Shift+Control, or Shift+Command, and the F9…key on your keyboard.…Once I bring that up, I'll move it up here in the top right corner, so I can see it.…I'm going to ignore the Shape Modes for a moment;…we'll cover those in their own movie.…For now, we're just worried about the Pathfinders.…The first option inside the Pathfinder is called Divide, and Divide is one of…
- Understanding vector graphics
- Creating and setting up files for print or web destinations
- Selecting and transforming objects on the page
- Creating spot colors
- Applying fills, strokes, and gradients to artwork
- Adjusting appearances and effects
- Working with anchor points and paths
- Drawing with the Pen tool
- Creating text
- Managing layers
- Creating and using symbols
- Printing, saving, and exporting artwork
Skill Level Beginner
What is Illustrator?1m 15s
1. Getting Started
2. Working with Documents
3. Selecting and Transforming Objects
4. Working with Color
5. Working with Fills and Strokes
6. Working with Paths
7. Creating Shapes
8. Don't Be Afraid of the Pen Tool
9. Using Type in Illustrator
10. Adjusting Appearance
11. Working with Layers
12. Working with Images
13. Creating and Using Symbols
14. Drawing in Perspective
15. Printing, Saving, and Exporting
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.