Join Justin Seeley for an in-depth discussion in this video Breaking the symbol link, part of Illustrator CS6 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
There may come a time when you find the need to edit one of the existing…symbols inside Illustrator.…Whether it's because you want to use a piece of that symbol in the artwork you…are working on, or you simply need to make a change to that symbol, like changing…the color, or the rotation.…In this movie, I am going to walk you through how to break the link between…Symbol and its original piece of artwork,…so that you can then edit that symbol, and then redefine it as its own symbol later.…The first thing I am going to do is create a brand new document.…I am going to do that with Command+N or Control+N on the keyboard, and I'll just…accept the defaults by hitting OK.…I'm then going to open up a symbol library by going to the library icon, and I'll…go down and I'll choose Grime Vector Pack.…
Once I get the Grime Vector Pack open, I am then going to take out the…Grime Vector Pack 02.…Once I do that, I have got an instance of the Grime Vector Pack 02 symbol out of my artboard.…However, I want make a change to this symbol, so in order to do that, I am going…
- Understanding vector graphics
- Creating and setting up files for print or web destinations
- Selecting and transforming objects on the page
- Creating spot colors
- Applying fills, strokes, and gradients to artwork
- Adjusting appearances and effects
- Working with anchor points and paths
- Drawing with the Pen tool
- Creating text
- Managing layers
- Creating and using symbols
- Printing, saving, and exporting artwork
Skill Level Beginner
What is Illustrator?1m 15s
1. Getting Started
2. Working with Documents
3. Selecting and Transforming Objects
4. Working with Color
5. Working with Fills and Strokes
6. Working with Paths
7. Creating Shapes
8. Don't Be Afraid of the Pen Tool
9. Using Type in Illustrator
10. Adjusting Appearance
11. Working with Layers
12. Working with Images
13. Creating and Using Symbols
14. Drawing in Perspective
15. Printing, Saving, and Exporting
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.