Learn how the process, composition of layers, opacity, blend modes, color, and experimentation all work together to create a compelling and authentic looking vector-based painting in Illustrator.
- [Voiceover] We're gonna take a look…at some complex vector paintings.…Now, you've already seen one illustration I created…of a rooster that is also a very complex illustration,…so, make sure to check out that exercise file.…And you can deconstruct that…to gain a lot of the same insights I'm gonna go over…in this movie,…and the next couple of movies that follow this one.…But, like all of my artwork,…whether I'm creating an icon or a logo…or some kind of visual graphic,…or, in this case, an illustration,…it all starts off in the drawn stage.…
And this isn't a refined sketch…as much as it is a sketch to just guide my building…of the vector shapes.…And, this is just something that I decided I wanted…to do an illustration that I would've done…back in art school when I actually painted…with acrylics and gouache.…And I wanted to see…how authentic I could get this illustration to look…like a traditional painted illustration.…But use nothing but vector-based content…to create it.…
And that's what I set forward to do.…So it started with drawing,…
Graphic designer Von Glitschka appreciates the endless brush stroke freedom that real-world brushes offer, and he knows how to replicate this offering in the digital world. In this course, he shows how to create your own custom, handmade brush strokes and import them into Adobe Illustrator. Von demonstrates how to compile and use custom brush strokes to achieve both a hand-painted aesthetic and a personal touch. Whether you're a painter, a designer, or just a fan of Illustrator, this course offers instructions on how to expand your use of Illustrator.
- Painting real brush strokes
- Transforming real brush strokes into digital brush strokes
- Importing brush strokes
- Creating bitmap surface textures
- Modifying vectors
- Compiling patterns, shapes, and strokes
- Working with layers and blend modes
- Using vector brushes
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Creating an Authentic Look
2. Using Vector Brushes
3. Vector Painting Process
4. Deconstructing Complex Vector Paintings
5. Using Adobe Capture
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.