Learn how to make a button and buttonhole symbol.
- [Narrator] So now that I've shown you…the benefits of using symbols,…let's make a couple to start your symbol library.…I like to always work over a template…so we can make the symbols to scale,…not have to scale them out once we've selected them.…We've got our guide here.…Let's make another guide going in this direction,…just to make it a little bit easier…to draw what we're going to draw.…And make sure your guides are locked, which mine are.…We'll zoom in maybe just a little bit further.…And we're going to make another button.…
This time we'll make one with little holes inside it.…So we're going to start with the ellipse tool.…We're going to make the center of our button…the intersection of the two guidelines.…So when we draw, of course we're going to hold…the alt and shift key, or option shift…if you're on a Mac, to make the button.…And this is going to be a little bigger button,…maybe the size you'd use for a pair of jeans.…Now we're going to make the line weight smaller…because this one's a little big at one point.…
Robin Schneider—a fashion designer and Otis College of Art and Design instructor—teaches you how to easily master the Pen tool as she walks you through drawing shirts, pants, skirts, and blazers. Learn how to maximize the power of Illustrator with Pathfinder, organize layers for quick and easy editing, and create custom symbol libraries. Plus, get tips and tricks to increase productivity and learn to lay out your designs in presentation-worthy line sheets.
- What is a CAD flat?
- Drawing shapes
- Editing shapes: rotating and joining
- Setting up your workspace
- Using a template
- Drawing shirts and blazers
- Drawing skirts, trousers, and jeans
- Creating symbols for buttons
- Creating professional quality layouts
Skill Level Beginner
Photoshop for Fashion Design: Rendering Techniqueswith Robin Schneider4h 52m Appropriate for all
Illustrator for Fashion Design: Creating Brusheswith Robin Schneider2h 40m Intermediate
Drawing Foundations: Light and Shadowwith Will Kemp1h 52m Intermediate
1. Getting Started: The Basics
2. Creating a Start File
3. Drawing a Basic T-Shirt
4. Drawing a Polo Shirt
5. Drawing a Button-Down Shirt
6. Drawing a Blazer
7. Drawing Pants
8. Drawing Skirts
9. Creating Symbols
10. Finishing Touches
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.