- View Offline
See the previous course in the series, Artistic Painting with Illustrator: Natural Media Brushes, for Sharon's insights on more traditional tools like the Paintbrush and Blob Brush.
- Creating and experimenting with object-creation brushes
- Preparing artwork to make into brushes
- Scaling and distorting brushes by varying line weight and stroke profiles
- Stretching versus repeating portions of a brush
- Colorizing complex brushes
- Fixing problem brushes with vector editing tools
- Exploring different ways to make and use pattern brushes
- Customizing pattern brushes and adding auto-corners
- Modifying scatter brush parameters
- Adjusting brush definition and tablet pressure parameters
- Fixing common mistakes
- Using scatter brushes versus symbols
- Warping and bending raster art using brushes
- Combining stroke effects with brushes
Skill Level Intermediate
- Hi, I'm Sharon Steuer, and welcome to Artistic Painting in Illustrator: Object Creation Brushes. This course is part of the Artistic Painting in Illustrator series, which also includes a course on natural media brushes. But in this course, we're going to cover the object creation brushes and effects. So instead of just making marks, these brushes let you paint with objects, allowing you to incorporate gesture, color, nuance, and variations on your original artwork. We're going to look at a range of samples, and we're going to look at how to customize and modify brushes.
And if you're in CC or later, how to prepare and use raster brushes as well. We'll look at different ways to create art, pattern, and scatter brushes from multiple vectors, and even raster objects. And explore different ways those brushes can be applied and modified. Finally, we'll look at some of the features that are specific to Illustrator CC, such as painting with raster brushes, and working with automatic corners for pattern brushes. We'll be covering all the standard way of using these tools, but also some unusually creative techniques. So let's get started with Artistic Painting in Illustrator: Object Creation Brushes.